Handheld Photosynthesis System CI-340 from CID Bio-Science
The CI-340 Handheld Photosynthesis System is a much improved version of the first lightweight, hand-held photosynthesis system introduced by CID in 1997. The latest version, the CI-340, features a new design concept and compact solid-state structure. The entire system: the display, key pad, computer, data memory, CO2 / H20 gas analyzer, flow control system and battery are contained in a single, hand-held chassis.
Everything required to measure photosynthesis, transpiration, stomatal conductance, PAR and internal CO2 is conveniently included in one easy to operate instrument. Because the chamber is connected directly to the CO2 / H20 differential gas analyzer, there is virtually no delay when measuring CO2 / H20 in the chamber. These features make the CI-340 not only the smallest, but the fastest and most accurate Handheld Photosynthesis System available for field or laboratory applications.
- An entire photosynthesis system in one hand-held case
- Lightweight and truly portable
- Stable analyzer for accurate CO2 and H2O measurements
- Open and closed system measurements
- 9 interchangeable chambers for different types of leaves
- Soil respiration chamber and plant canopy attachment available
- Modular attachments include light, temperature control, CO2 / H2O supply and chlorophyll fluorescence measurement
- Automatically controls light, temperature, and CO2 / H2O concentrations in the leaf chamber
- Infrared non-contact leaf temperature measurement
- Measures chlorophyll fluorescence and photosynthesis simultaneously
How it works
The entire CI-340 Handheld Photosynthesis System display, keypad, computer, data memory, CO2/H2O gas analyzer, flow control system, and battery – is contained in a single hand-held case. It has everything you need to measure photosynthesis, transpiration, stomatal conductance, and internal CO2 concentration, as well as many other factors. Because the chamber is connected directly to the CO2/H2O differential gas analyzer, there is virtually no time delay when measuring CO2/H2O in the chamber. With CID’s carbonate injection CO2/H2O generator module, the CI-340 can precisely control CO2 and H2O concentrations in the leaf chamber.
The CI-340 can also control temperature and light intensity with the optional temperature and light control modules. Furthermore, a chlorophyll fluorescence module can be attached to the CI-340 to simultaneously measure photosynthesis and chlorophyll fluorescence.
- Chlorophyll Fluorescence
- Soil Respiration
What’s in the box?
The CI-340 includes:
- Includes infrared gas analyzer
- PAR sensor
- Air temperature sensor
- Choice of one leaf chamber
- An infrared non-contact leaf temperature sensor
- Soda Lime tube
- Silica Gel tube
- Spare parts kit
- Rechargeable battery
- Battery charger
- RS232 communication cable
- Communication software
- Operation manual
- Hard-shell instrument carrying case
How to use it
This self-contained system does the work of instruments many times its size. The CI-340 measures various aspects of photosynthetic activity within a completely controlled environment— while in the field. The CI-340 creates its own environment to study plant activity, employing varied control factors including CO2 levels, luminescence, and temperature all in solidstate instrument you can carry in one hand. To measure photosynthetic activity, simply secure a leaf within the CI-340 chamber and choose “ambient” or “closed” system measurement. In moments leaf function data is available as the CI-340 analyzes photosynthesis according to your research parameters.
Also available for the CI-340: Soil Respiration attachment for measuring changes in soil.
Theory of operation*
- Photosynthesis is the formation of carbohydrates from CO2 and a source of hydrogen (as water) in the chlorophyll-containing tissues of plants exposed to light. The rate at which photosynthesis occurs is determined by measuring the rate at which a known leaf area assimilates the CO2 concentration in a given time.
- It is known that transpiration is the primary determinant of leaf energy balance and plant water status. The rate of transpiration is determined by the accumulation of water vapor flux per one-sided leaf area in a given time.
- Stomatal conductance is the water loss of a leaf’s conductance considered in parallel or series. It can be obtained by measuring the transpiration and leaf surface temperature (°C), and applying the calculation.
- The CI-340 is designed so that measurements can incorporate both absolute and differential readings, simultaneously. This instrument can also be configured to operate both open and closed systems.
- CI-340 measures CO2 gas concentration in the Absolute Mode from a single CO2 source. The CI-340 acquires absolute measurement both from chamber environment and inlet to the instrument. This concept adapts to both the open and closed system chamber environments unlike any other Handheld Portable Photosynthesis Systems available in the market today.
* Please see corresponding equations
|Main Unit||On board IRG A for CO2 / H2O Analysis, Flow Control, Display and Key Board, Leaf Chamber attachment facility and Battery|
|Display||LCD 40 x 6 characters or 320 x 60 pixel|
|Data Storage||4 MB Internal FLASH RAM|
|Data output||USB or RS232C PC Link Cable|
|Flow Rate||100 ~ 1000 cm2 min-1 (1 lpm)|
|Power supply||7.2 VDC, 3.2 mAh for 5 hours continuous use, extended hours of use with additional batteries. AC Adapter / Battery Charger supplied.|
|Weight||1.5 Kg (3 Lbs) with Battery|
|Dimension||450 mm x 53 mm x 48 mm|
|Sensor||Low power Non-Dispersive Infrared Gas Analyzer d; No sensitivity to motion, Stable analyzer for accurate CO2 and H2O measurements|
|Data Storage||4 MB Internal FLASH RAM|
|Sensors response time||35 seconds|
|Source life||5000 hours|
|Measuring Range||0 to 2000 ppm (Standard) – 0 to 3000 ppm (Optional)|
|Repeatability||±0.1 ppm (short term)|
|Accuracy||< ± 2% up to 3000 ppm|
|Sample cell||100 mm x 10.2 mm (3.94” L x 0.40” Dia)|
|Warm- up time||Approximately 3 minutes|
|Sensor||Humidity Sensitive Capacitor Stable Analyzer for accurate H2O measurements|
|Measuring Range||0 to 100%|
|Accuracy||±2% at 10% RH, ±3.5% at 95% RH|
|Response Time||<15 sec|
|Sensor Type||Filtered GaAsP – Photodiode|
|Measuring Range||0 ~ 2500 μmol m-2s-1|
|Accuracy||±5 μmol m-2s-1|
|Response||400 ~ 700nm|
|Chamber Temperature Measurement|
|Sensor Type||Precision Thermistor|
|Measuring Range||– 15 ~ 50°C|
|Leaf Temperature Measurement|
|Sensor Type||Infrared Sensor|
|Measuring Range||– 10 ~ 50°C|